A few weeks ago, I decided to move my blog from Hubpress to something else. Indeed, Hubpress is not maintained anymore and I wanted someting close enough to want I had. Meaning, asciidoc (or markdown) based, publishable easily on Github Pages and with the possibility to get feedback from my audience (who knows ?).
Hugo is written in Go and is a static website generator. It’s possible to use Asciidoc or Markdown and it seems to be able to use Disqus which is the comment solution I already used with Hubpress.
I already use Jekyll because it’s the solution we use for the Montreal Jug Website. Same as Hugo, Jekyll is a static website generator. It’s possible to use Asciidoc or Markdown and Disqus. Instead of Hugo, it’s written in Ruby.
I decided to go with Jekyll as I am already familiar with it and I don’t care about performance. The ones who do should consider Hugo.
I did some research on the web to start with a pre-existing theme and I went with Clean Blog
As I said, I already use Disqus so I didn’t want to change. I would like a solution where the content doesn’t belong to me but at the moment I didn’t find any that meets my needs of owning my content. I am considering to move away from Disqus at some point for utterances that is based on Github Issues but I will be still not owning my content.
I was already using asciidoc so I copied all my asciidoc files directly to the post folder in Jekyll. Everything went smoothly and all the posts where generated to HTML with all the informations needed.
I add to adapt the images path with the new one in some asciidoc files contening pictures but a quick CMD+R helped me to change all the files in a nutshell.
So I avoided having to develop a batch to process all my asciidoc to migrate but with a lot more content it would have been the solution I would have used.
I had never tried "Github Actions" before so I decided to give it a try and it was as easy as following this procedure.
I took a few minutes to generate "et voilà !"
And now, because you are reading those lines I guess everything worked fine.
I miss Hubpress which has a web interface to edit the asciidoc but it’s completely replaced by the automating of the deployement to the Github Pages.